PDA

View Full Version : Lawler comments on WWE being PC 'to a fault'

Oldschool
09-12-2018, 10:36 AM
During his recent podcast, Jerry Lawler commented on WWE being politically correct:

“The thing with the puppies, I did not coin the phrase. I was not the first one to say the phrase on WWE TV; but, because, like you said, I am so associated with that word ‘puppies,’ most people think that way,” Lawler explained.

“That is probably the reason I’m not on TV anymore and I mean that seriously because they [WWE] went so politically correct. It’s not necessarily PG because they’re not PG. They’re further south than PG. They’re PC,” he said. “They’re so politically correct to a fault and especially like they got so right now into – starting with the Revolution – now it’s all about empowering women and that’s a big political correct thing these days and everything, so WWE jumped right on that, so it’s about empowering women.”

Regarding RAW 25, “This is like early on the show and I said, ‘JR [Jim Ross], it’s so nice to be here tonight and we’re gonna go back in time or something and I might even say puppies tonight.’ Immediately I hear [Vince McMahon] in my earphone (grunts), ‘Let’s stay away from that tonight.’ That was the last time it was ever said on there.”

“You must treat them exactly like you would a male athlete,” Lawler recalled being instructed. “You could say that they are powerful, they’re strong, they’re athletic,’ all this stuff; but, nothing that would be considered sexist at all.”

Thanks to SEScoops.com for the quotes.