PDA

View Full Version : Cody comments on producing All In and NWA Title

Oldschool
09-13-2018, 08:36 AM
During a recent appearance on Jim Ross' podcast, Cody Rhodes talked about producing All In and other topics. Here are a few highlights...

Producing All In: "I didn't get a chance to sleep [after All In] and I went right to gorilla [position] after my match and I directed and timed the last half of the show. I'm not the best timer judging by the main event time. I'm learning! But I didn't get that moment to… I didn't get many moments. It was just happening so fast."

On a potential All In 2: "Well, maybe we already started planning [laughs]. I kept writing these lists. And my dad was a big list guy and I have become a big list guy too. I kept writing these lists of these are the things to do to make sure you're in peak condition, and also make sure you're in peak mental state, and make sure you paid this guy and talked to this guy. I also learned I wanted to do every single thing with this show. I wanted to do payroll; I wanted to know elements of production; I wanted to know how many chairs were in the union catering room. Just, next time, I don't need to know all that stuff. I also learned you are only as good as the team around you and we've discovered some new teammates over the course of [All In] weekend."

Winning the NWA Title: "Well, I want to continue the path of the traveling champion. That's kind of what I grew up on, the type of [pro] wrestling I like. Even though it's a generation prior to me, when I look back at what [Ric] Flair was able to do, what Jack Brisco was able to do, their date book alone, and not just, 'oh, I did it,' but I did it and it was the best thing of the night. Like, I did it with consistency, but it rubs some people the wrong way and that's fine. I think most people enjoy it.

"I don't really believe in the politics of wrestling anymore. I understand if this isn't your company's title, but if you're asking me to come wrestle for your company, I'm wearing the damn title. There's no [way around that], right? It takes an organization, it does, to facilitate and get that ring set up. And it takes a crew to tighten those ropes, but a big focus [at All In] was 'this is a wrestling show by wrestlers.' And yeah, there [are] some things we could have learned from a company standpoint, an organizational standpoint, but that's how I go into everything I do. When I go to Long Beach [California for NJPW Fighting Spirit Unleashed] to wrestle Juice Robinson for the IWGP United States Heavyweight Championship, I'll be wearing this too. I'm taking it everywhere I go and I'm excited to do that."

Thanks to WrestlingInc.com for the quotes.