PDA

View Full Version : Susan G. Komen Apologizes for Cutting off Planned Parenthood Funding

kong
02-03-2012, 07:01 PM
Susan G. Komen Apologizes for Cutting off Planned Parenthood Funding
The Susan G. Komen for the Cure Foundation apologized for cutting off funding from Planned Parenthood and vowed to revise its policy that led to that decision amid intense backlash against the nation’s largest breast cancer organization.
“We want to apologize to the American public for recent decisions that cast doubt upon our commitment to our mission of saving women’s lives,” president and founder Nancy Brinker said in a statement today. “We have been distressed at the presumption that the changes made to our funding criteria were done for political reasons or to specifically penalize Planned Parenthood. They were not.” “Our original desire was to fulfill our fiduciary duty to our donors by not funding grant applications made by organizations under investigation,” she added. “We will amend the criteria to make clear that disqualifying investigations must be criminal and conclusive in nature and not political. That is what is right and fair.” Planned Parenthood’s president, Cecile Richards, praised the move.
“In recent weeks, the treasured relationship between the Susan G. Komen for the Cure Foundation and Planned Parenthood has been challenged, and we are now heartened that we can continue to work in partnership toward our shared commitment to breast health for the most underserved women,” Richards said in a statement. “We are enormously grateful that the Komen Foundation has clarified its grantmaking criteria, and we look forward to continuing our partnership with Komen partners, leaders and volunteers.”
On Tuesday, the Susan G. Komen Foundation cut off funding for about 19 Planned Parenthood clinics that provide breast cancer screening and other preventative services.
Planned Parenthood affiliates received about $680,000 per year from the Susan G. Komen Foundation and provided about 170,000 clinical breast exams and 6,400 mammogram referrals through those funds, mainly to low-income and minority women.
The foundation said its decision was spurred by a recent policy change that disallowed it from funding organizations that are under investigation. A Congressional committee, led by anti-abortion Rep. Cliff Stearns, R-Fla. is looking into Planned Parenthood affiliates to see if they used taxpayer money to fund abortions. But critics charged that the move was solely political and based on the pressure that the Susan G. Komen Foundation has been facing from anti-abortion groups over the years. Planned Parenthood was the only grantee among 2,000 other organizations whose funding was cut off under the new policy. Critics also linked it to the foundation’s recent hiring of Karen Handel, a former Republican gubernatorial candidate who is an outspoken opponent of Planned Parenthood. Brinker denied that Handel was involved in the decision. A number of Susan G. Komen Foundation board members resigned in the wake of that decision.
Meanwhile, the move spurred a flood of support for Planned Parenthood. New York Mayor Michael Bloomberg gave the group $250,000 and pledged to give $1 for every dollar Planned Parenthood raises up to $250,000. Oil tycoon Lee Fikes and his wife also gave the group $250,000, and it raised more than $650,000 from across the country. Indie rock band, The Decemberists, today pulled its support from the Susan G. Komen Foundation, saying it will now give all its funds to Planned Parenthood’s Breast Health Emergency Fund.

kong
02-03-2012, 07:04 PM
just as long as none of the funds are going towards abortions

kong
02-08-2012, 08:32 PM
Former Susan G. Komen VP Karen Handel: Planned Parenthood "Hijacked This Great Organization"
By Lylah M. Alphonse, Senior Editor, Yahoo! Shine
Ousted Susan G. Komen for the Cure vice president Karen Handel accused Planned Parenthood of "hijacking" the breast-cancer charity and conducting "the most unbelievable shakedown that I think we've seen in a long time" in an interview with the Associated Press in Atlanta yesterday. "Planned Parenthood unleashed, unleashed a premeditated, vicious attack not only on Komen, but also on Ambassador Brinker as well," she said. "It was absolutely outrageous what transpired here." During the interview, Handel again contradicted Komen founder and CEO Nancy Brinker's assertion that Handel hadn't been involved in the organization's decision to cut off funding for breast-cancer screenings at Planned Parenthood, and confirmed rumors that she had been the driving force behind the new grant rules that excluded the women's health organization. "I fully acknowledge that I was involved in this," she said. "I fully embrace that I was the lead in developing alternatives and working through the process." "This was the best decision, in my view, for the organization in terms of how they were going to do granting, to not be in the middle of a controversial issue, and to be able to move the organization forward," she continued. "The last time I checked, this is a private, non-profit org that has every right -- every right -- to set its standards the way they choose to set it in the best interests of this organization." Though Handel has been accused of being the sole person behind the decision, she pointed out that it had been "fully vetted at every appropriate level of the organization" and that the board "knew that we were moving forward with this." Board member John D. Rafaelli, a Democratic lobbyist and a supporter of Planned Parenthood, agreed, and blamed himself for not anticipating the backlash. "Honestly, I didn't think it through well enough," Rafaelli told the Huffington Post. "We don't want to be pro-choice or pro-life; we want to be pro-cure. We screwed up, I'm saying it. We failed to keep abortion out of this, and we owe the people in the middle who only care about breast cancer and who have raised money for us an apology." In a more subdued interview with Fox News, Handel condemned Planned Parenthood and pro-choice supporters for pressuring Komen to restore funding. "All of us should be saddened that an outside organization will put this kind of pressure on another organization around their processes and granting and how they do it and to whom they are going to grant," she said.
But she also admitted that long-standing outside pressure from pro-life groups who objected to Planned Parenthood's abortion services triggered the decision to change the grant criteria. Rather than criticize these groups for pressuring Komen, however, Handel -- who last week described Planned Parenthood as a "pro abortion group" and who ran for governor of Georgia on a pro-life platform promising to eliminate state grants to the women's health organization -- told Fox News that Komen needed to avoid the controversy.
"And I think everyone can agree that if you have a grantee where there's this type of controversy surrounding it, Komen was doing its level best to move to neutral ground," she added. When asked if the defunding plan was her idea, Handel paused, and then sidestepped the question. "I'm saying this was long an issue for Komen, dealing with the controversies of Planned Parenthood."

Copyright © 2012 Yahoo Inc.
link to original story
http://www.wrestlingforum.info/newreply.php?do=postreply&t=27515