PDA

View Full Version : The End of the DVD is Coming Fast

kong
02-07-2012, 02:00 AM
The End of the DVD is Coming Fast
COMMENTARY | The end of the DVD could be close than many realize. According to an Associated Press report, Verizon is set to team with Redbox to offer a video streaming service later in the year. The news is not really all that surprising, as a report from Gigaom.com mentions that video streaming giant Netflix has almost twice as many streaming subscribers as it does for DVD subscribers. The arrival of yet another video streaming option, could spell the end of the DVD. A report from MSN highlights that spending on home video in the U.S. fell by more than 2 percent in 2011, and more competition for the entertainment dollar will lead consumers to cheaper options. However, as the MSN report mentions, price is not the only benefit of streaming services like Netflix and Hulu or even on demand purchases like those found on many cable boxes, Amazon and iTunes. Convenience and simplicity are major factors in the purchase of entertainment. Plus, mobile technology, like tablet computers, allows users to enjoy all sorts of programming in a variety of settings. It is those benefits that will eventually minimize the impact DVD sales have on the entertainment industry. The nuances of the Redbox and Verizon partnership have yet to be announced. Still, a Web Pro News article indicates that the service will be a mix of new releases and download services. If Redbox can offer up new releases in streaming forms instead of forcing consumers to make the trip to the kiosk, the death of the DVD will only start to escalate.

Oldschool
02-07-2012, 08:39 AM
This is sad for those who wish to own the release

The_Fragile_One
02-07-2012, 12:13 PM
That's shitty. However, I'm sure it just means Blu-Ray is going to be the only thing left.

The_Fragile_One
02-07-2012, 12:13 PM
That's shitty. However, I'm sure it just means Blu-Ray is going to be the only thing left.

kong
02-07-2012, 12:55 PM
I guess thats the future, streaming. but there will always be the ones who figure out how to burn the movies. and I guess there will be the blu ray editions too