• Piratey
  • Poorly
  • Sad
  • Secret
  • Shy
  • Sneaky
  • Tired
  • Wtf

Thread: Heartbroken dad claims Instagram ‘helped kill his daughter’ who took her own life after sharing posts about suicide and depression

WD Staff
      This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Post Thanks / Like
      WD Coins
      136 (0 Banked)
      Mentioned
      0 Post(s)
      Tagged
      0 Thread(s)
      Quoted
      2 Post(s)
      vCash
      vBActivity - Stats
      Level
      vBActivity - Bars
      Lv. Percent
      45.32%

Default Heartbroken dad claims Instagram ‘helped kill his daughter’ who took her own life after sharing posts about suicide and depression

The grieving dad of a schoolgirl who took her life has accused Instagram of “helping” kill her.

Heartbroken Ian Russell told how 14-year-old Molly died after viewing scores of images glorifying self-harm and suicide, reports The Sun.

She was found dead just hours after handing in her homework - and packing a schoolbag for the next day.

Her devastating suicide note wrote: “I’m sorry. I did this because of me.”

Molly - who went to Hatch End High School in Harrow, Middlesex - had started viewing the disturbing posts without her family’s knowledge.

Ian told the BBC: “I have no doubt that Instagram helped kill my daughter. She had so much to offer and that’s gone”

Devastated Ian Russell told how 14-year-old Molly died after viewing scores of social media images glorifying self-harm and suicide. Picture: BBC
      Devastated Ian Russell told how 14-year-old Molly died after viewing scores of social media images glorifying self-harm and suicide. Picture: BBCSourceupplied

“She seemed to be a very ordinary teenager. She was future-looking. She was enthusiastic.

“She handed her homework in that night. She packed her bags and was preparing to go to school the next day and then when we woke up the next morning, she was dead.

There were accounts from people who were depressed or self-harming or suicidal.

Father Ian Russell.
      Father Ian Russell.Sourceupplied

“Quite a lot of that content was quite positive. Perhaps groups of people who were trying to help each other out, find ways to remain positive to stop self-harming.

“But some of that content is shocking in that it encourages self-harm, it links self-harm to suicide and I have no doubt that Instagram helped kill my daughter.

She viewed the posts before being found dead.
      She viewed the posts before being found dead.Sourceupplied

“The posts on those sites are so often black and white, they’re sort of fatalistic. [They say] there’s no hope, join our club, you’re depressed, I’m depressed, there’s lots of us, come inside this virtual club.”

Instagram’s guidelines say posts should not “glorify self-injury” while phrases such as “self harm” bring up a warning - but users are able to view the pictures after ignoring the message.

The Sun Online has approached Instagram for comment.

If you or someone you know needs support, contact beyondblue on 1300 224 636 or Lifeline on 13 11 14
      https://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/real-life/news-life/heartbroken-dad-claims-instagram-helped-kill-his-daughter-who-took-her-own-life-after-sharing-posts-about-suicide-and-depression/news-story/81925ba2ed1fa7eccf7ca39eeaec97df

Administrator
      Yes! Yes! Yes!

I am:
      Friendly

Post Thanks / Like
      WD Coins
      21,166,263,511,884 (110,274 Banked)
      Mentioned
      22 Post(s)
      Tagged
      0 Thread(s)
      Quoted
      36 Post(s)
      vCash
      vBActivity - Stats
      Level
      vBActivity - Bars
      Lv. Percent
      87.11%
      Achievements Posts

She handed her homework in that night. She packed her bags and was preparing to go to school the next day and then when we woke up the next morning, she was dead.
      What a tragedy Could a one time viewing really change a healthy teen's outlook enough for this to happen so fast?

Please order your ul.to account from here to help cover costs - thanks for your support, you guys rock !!!!!
      Code:
      http://ul.to/ref/3078460

WD Staff
      This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Post Thanks / Like
      WD Coins
      136 (0 Banked)
      Mentioned
      0 Post(s)
      Tagged
      0 Thread(s)
      Quoted
      2 Post(s)
      vCash
      vBActivity - Stats
      Level
      vBActivity - Bars
      Lv. Percent
      45.32%

Absolutely not, even the most naive of kids aren't that impressionable. There was a good reason she shared it in the first place, it was obviously a cry for help or a way of expressing herself.

The father is just stricken with grief and not really thinking clearly.

Thread Information