Seemingly by the day, the best computers keep getting more advanced with eight-core processors and high-end graphics cards that can render realistic ray traced lighting. So, if you want to stay current in 2019, investing in one of the best PCs is definitely worth it – even if all you do is surf the web.

Good news is buying a PC has never been cheaper. You can easily spend 500 bucks and get a capable PC or even an all-in-one desktop that comes with its own built in screen. PCs are easily upgradable, allowing you to keep the best PCs up to date with one of the best graphics cards, a bigger or faster best SSD and more of the best memory.

Still, shopping for the best PC isn’t quite as easy as it may sound. When we decided to put this list together, we had to acknowledge that the best PCs strike a balance between price and performance. So, after comprehensively testing, reviewing and ranking all the PCs on this list, we’ll help you find which PC is right for you.

Dell Inspiron 3000

Best PC: Dell XPS Tower Special Edition
Don’t be fooled, this mainstream machine is a gaming PC at heart

CPU: : Intel Core i5 – Core i7 | Graphics: : AMD Radeon RX 580 – Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080 | RAM: 8GB – 16GB | Storage: 256GB SSD; 1TB HDD – 512GB SSD; 2TB HDD

RECOMMENDED VIDEOS FOR YOU...
CLOSE
CHECK AMAZON AU
Compact, minimalist designFull online customer supportStarting memory isn't ideal for VRLower graphical performance compared to rivals
For lack of a better word, the Dell XPS Tower Edition is stealthy. Looking quite similar to that old computer that your parents had hidden beneath the desk, this boring exterior belies an exciting array of components. Inside you’ll find your choice of the latest in GPU tech, in addition to a blazing-fast 7th generation Intel CPU and a spacious hard drive and/or SSD. Now, the Special Edition is only available in the US, but our readers in the UK and Australia will still be able to buy the regular Dell XPS Tower and beef it up to the same level through Dell’s configuration page.

Read the full review: Dell XPS Tower Special Edition

Best all-in-one PC: Microsoft Surface Studio 2
The art kid’s dream computer in a metallic nutshell

CPU: Intel Core i7-7820HQ | Graphics: Nvidia GeForce GTX 1060 – 1070 | RAM: 16GB – 32GB | Storage: 1TB-2TB SSD

AUD$5,499
VIEW AT MICROSOFT STORE
AUD$6,099
View at Amazon AU
AUD$6,599
View at Microsoft Store
See all prices (7 found)
?
Brighter displayPCIe SSDsVery expensive
The Microsoft Surface Studio was the best PC for artists when it first launched, so we were excited when Microsoft announced the sequel. Packed with Kaby Lake mobile graphics and Nvidia Pascal graphics, the Surface Studio 2 is way more powerful than the original, and should be able to handle everything you can throw at it for the next few years at least. And, it’s still got that gorgeous PixelSense display with Surface Pen support, making it retain the title of the best PC for artists.

Read the full review: Surface Studio 2

See more like this: The best all-in-one PCs

Best mini PC: Intel Hades Canyon NUC
Don’t let its size fool you

CPU: Intel Core i7-8809G | Graphics: Radeon RX Vega M GH graphics (4GB HBM2 VRAM), Intel UHD Graphics 630 | RAM: N/A | Storage: N/A

AUD$1,099
VIEW AT MWAVE
AUD$1,299
View at SaveOnIT
AUD$1,635
View at mwave
See all prices (5 found)
?
Lots of ports Easy to upgrade Expensive
If you’re looking for a great desktop experience, but don’t have a lot of space, look no further than the Intel Hades Canyon NUC. In this tiny bare-bones PC, you have an insanely powerful 8th-generation Intel Core i7 processor, and discrete-class Radeon graphics – once you throw in some RAM and storage, you’ll be able to conquer the best PC games without a care in the world. Sure, it can’t really stand up against a full-sized desktop, but when space is short, or you’d rather just have a PC that looks like a set-top box – it’s totally worth it.

Read the full review: Intel Hades Canyon NUC

Best gaming PC: Alienware aurora R7
Great gaming performance without breaking the bank

CPU: Intel Core i7 8700K | Graphics: Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080 Ti | RAM: 32GB | Storage: 512GB M.2 PCIe NVMe SSD, 2TB HDD

AUD$2,328.31
VIEW AT AMAZON AU
Easy to upgradeDistinct case designPartially obstructed cooling
The Alienware Aurora R7 isn’t just a great gaming PC, but it’s one of the best PCs you can buy today. Not only does it feature fantastic performance with its 8th-generation Intel Core processor and GTX 10 series graphics, but this power is conveniently stored away in its compact chassis. It’s even surprisingly affordable, considering the power on offer, and it’s even easily upgradeable, despite its unique build. With the Aurora R7, Alienware continues its journey back to the top of the best PCs.

Read the full review: Alienware Aurora R7

See more like this: The best gaming PCs

Best living room PC: MSI Trident 3
A slimline console-sized mini PC for your living room

CPU: Intel Core i5-7400 – i7-7700 | Graphics: Nvidia GeForce GTX 1050 Ti – 1060 | RAM: 8GB – 32GB DDR4 (2,400MHz) | Storage: 2TB HDD; 120GB SSD – 2TB HDD; 1TB SSD

AUD$1,899
VIEW AT PCMARKET
AUD$2,480.84
View at Amazon AU
AUD$2,519
View at Amazon AU
See all prices (3 found)
?
Compact sizeSilent and cool runningExternal 330W power brick
Positioned as a “console killer,” the MSI Trident 3 looks a lot like an Xbox One X and PS4 Pro, but it’s a far more powerful PC that feels just right in your living room. Complete with all the ports you could ever dream of, the MSI Trident 3’s advantages are clear. Still, in trying to be as thin and light as possible, the MSI Trident 3 comes equipped with a 330W external power supply brick, resembling some of the least attractive console designs.

Read the full review: MSI Trident 3

Best Mac: Apple Mac mini (Late 2018)
Mini is back again

CPU: Intel Core i3 – i7 | Graphics: Intel UHD Graphics 630 | RAM: 8GB – 64GB | Storage: 128GB – 2TB SSD

AUD$779
VIEW AT VIDEO PRO
AUD$1,190
View at Landmark Computers
AUD$1,519
View at think of us
See all prices (5 found)
?
Incredibly powerfulAffordableCan’t upgrade storage
It’s easy to associate Apple with inflated pricing, but the Mac Mini avoids that altogether. The Mac Mini 2018 isn’t just an attractive small form-factor PC, it’s also crammed full of high-end desktop parts, making it a great purchase for anyone that already has a slew of Mac-ready peripherals. Plus, as opposed to Apple’s recent products, you can upgrade the Mac Mini. Well, just the memory, but you can kit the Mac Mini with up to 64GB of RAM.

Read the full review: Apple Mac Mini

See more like this: The best Macs

HP Pavilion Mini

Best budget PC: HP Pavilion Wave
It's a prettier, if less-beefy, Mac Pro

CPU: Intel Core i3 – Intel Core i5 | Graphics: Intel HD Graphics 530 – AMD Radeon R9 M470 | RAM: 8GB | Storage: 1TB HDD

CHECK AMAZON AU
Unique, stylish cylindrical form factorClever and effective audio solutionNo optical audio portUnflattering specs
Though at first you might confuse it for a fabric-woven Mac Pro refresh, the HP Pavilion Wave is anything but. This compact Windows machine packs in 6th-generation Intel Core processors and optional discrete AMD graphics with a uniquely integrated Bang & Olufsen speaker. Wrapped in a handsome fabric exterior, this is the perfect PC to have on the desk, as it radiates crisp sound while you browse the web or watch movies.

Read the first look: HP Pavilion Wave

HP 260 G1

Best stick PC: Intel Compute Stick
The tiny computer that can

CPU: Intel Atom – Intel Core m5 | Graphics: : Intel HD Graphics – Intel HD Graphics 515 | RAM: 1GB – 4GB | Storage: 8GB-64GB eMMC

AUD$131.16
VIEW AT AMAZON AU
AUD$175
View at Kogan
AUD$175
View at Dick Smith
See all prices (17 found)
?
Wide CPU choicesExtremely portable designLimited fan coolingLimited RAM and storage
It may look like a thumb drive at first glance, but the Intel Core Compute Stick has more than meets the eye. It’s actually a palm-sized PC that can plug into any screen with an HDMI input. It starts out with a lowly 1.33GHz Intel Atom cpu running Linux, but it is configurable up to an Intel Core m5 processor – which makes this one of the best PCs if you need to get some work done on the go, without having to haul around a laptop.
https://www.techradar.com/au/news/computing/pc/10-of-the-best-desktop-pcs-of-2015-1304391