Quoted
      0 Post(s)
      vCash
      vBActivity - Stats
      Level
      vBActivity - Bars
      Lv. Percent
      5.96%

Default Brandon's Thoughts: Useful Free Computer Security Programs and Tips

So in from as far back as I can remember, computer security has been a big topic. From people being worrisome about their credit card numbers being stolen when buying products via ecommerce, to their computers getting bogged down with various viruses, spyware, trojans, and much more. There are many ways you can combat these threats, some of which can be out of your hands after making a purchase. I’ll hit very briefly about ecommerce in another blog coming up Below, I am going to post download links to my favorite, and highly recommended security programs that you should be running on your person computer (did you know PC actually means personal computer?). For these programs they are free, but there is extra stuff you can buy to make them complete. I only go the free route. Why spend money where there is other free programs that do just as well?

Antivirus: Avast *

http://www.avast.com/download-thank-you.php?product=FA-AVAST&locale=en-ww

Antimalware: IOBit Malware Fighter **

http://dw.com.com/redir?edId=3&siteId=4&oId=3000-8022_4-10967594&ontId=8022_4&spi=14b243f280578bd886bb0e65e373797d&lop=link&tag=tdw_dltext&ltype=dl_dlnow&pid=13160986&mfgId=6271865&merId=6271865&pguid=UbVU3AoOYIwAAHBIbB0AAAA5&ttag=dl_dldirect&destUrl=http%3A%2F%2Fdownload.cnet.com%2F3001-8022_4-10967594.html%3Fspi%3D14b243f280578bd886bb0e65e373797d%26dlm%3D0

• * Avast is a great program. The best free one out there as stated and recommended by many professionals. During the installation they will give you a 30 day free trial to their Internet Security. Go ahead and take it. After 30 days you will be prompted to register. Go ahead and register. Select the free option whenever you’re registering. No need to pay for anything. Also, Avast auto updates. It also will run system scans automatically. Just do what it says. You should be all right. I’ve never had a problem on my personal system nor have I ever gotten any complaints or call backs from client systems.

• ** IOBit is a great company and offers many free programs, and this is one of my personal favorite programs that they offer to us as a Windows User. During installation you will be prompted to install another one of their programs. Just un-tick the box. Then on the bottom click “Skip.” And click install. Proceed with the installation of this great program.

One major part of keeping your system running smoothly is not installing a bunch of junk. Make sure you run these programs at least 4 times a week, and then they also will run themselves so often. Also check for updates in program for definition updates and that kind of duty. If you do go to install something make sure you read all the fine print. Make sure you doing install additional software with what you are installing. No toolbars. My general rules of thumb, unless it’s bought at a store, don’t download games; play them through the web browser. Obviously there will be exceptions with everything, but be careful. Don’t fly through installations. Read everything during the installation. If it asks you to install other programs then you have two options, opt out of the additional software, or don’t install what you are currently installing. I’m not saying read the Terms of Service and stuff like that, but the fine print of the installation setup. Take your time. There is no rush!

Thanks for reading. Any questions, please feel free to ask!

I took this off of my personal website BTW. Figured I would post it here too .

WD HOFers
      Time is more valuable than
      money

I am:
      Hungry

Post Thanks / Like
      WD Coins
      14,482 (22,127 Banked)
      Items Upload A SmilieUpload A SmilieUpload A SmilieUpload A SmilieUpload A SmilieUpload A SmilieUpload A SmilieUpload A SmilieUpload A SmilieUpload A Smilie
      Mentioned
      20 Post(s)
      Tagged
      0 Thread(s)
      Quoted
      39 Post(s)
      vCash
      vBActivity - Stats
      Level
      vBActivity - Bars
      Lv. Percent
      70.33%
      Achievements Posts

nice post and yes I do opt out of many additional programs they give u with what you are installing.

Thread Information