vCash
      vBActivity - Stats
      Level
      vBActivity - Bars
      Lv. Percent
      3.3%
      Achievements Posts

Default Leonard Nimoy, Actor, Director, and 'Star Trek' Icon, Dies at 83

I Am Not Spock proclaimed the title of Leonard Nimoy's 1975 autobiography, in which the veteran actor tried to distinguish himself from his most iconic role, as Star Trek's emotionless half-human, half-Vulcan science officer. Twenty years later, he published a follow-up entitled, I Am Spock, in which the actor-director warmly embraced his pointy-eared alter ego. Like it or not, Nimoy — who passed away on Feb. 27 at the age of 83 from end-stage chronic obstructive pulmonary disease — was Spock to generations of sci-fi fans, so much so that when J.J. Abrams rebooted the franchise in the 2009 blockbuster, Nimoy was the one original cast member he made sure to bring back.

Even though the role defined his career for those of us watching him at home and in theaters, Spock was only one small part of Nimoy's overall life. An actor from childhood, the Boston-born Nimoy worked steadily on television before and after Star Trek, appearing on such disparate shows as Sea Hunt, Gunsmoke, Mission: Impossible and In Search Of…, a five-season series that explored the mysteries of the paranormal. In the '80s, he became an established film director, overseeing back-to-back big-screen Star Trek installments (The Search for Spock and The Voyage Home) followed by the 1987 hit, 3 Men and a Baby.

Nimoy parlayed his eye for the camera into a respected career as a photographer, snapping pictures that hung in galleries and were collected in books like The Full Body Project — a collection for which he shot nude photos of plus-sized and obese women. "The first time I had photographed a person of that size and shape, it was scary," he remarked in a 2007 NPR interview. "I didn't know quite how to treat this figure. And I think that's a reflection of something that's prevalent in our culture. I think, in general, we are sort of conditioned to see a different body type as acceptable and maybe look away when the other body type arrives. It led me to a new consciousness about the fact that so many people live in body types that are not the type that's being sold by fashion models."

That's the kind of eminently logical argument that Spock would make and speaks to how being involved in a progressive, socially-conscious series like Star Trek must have helped shape Nimoy's worldview going forward. One of the reasons the franchise has endured is that it imagines a future Earth free of prejudice and strife. Through his life and work on-screen and off, Nimoy sought to make that world of tomorrow possible today.
      I would rather die peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather than screaming in terror like his passengers.

You don't have to be crazy to join Wrestling Desires. We'll train you for that.

If you think I'm crazy now, just wait till the sedatives wear off.

|| VIP ||
      Ortons Law!

I am:
      Awesome

Post Thanks / Like
      WD Coins
      6,666,675 (11,277,087,786 Banked)
      Items Upload A SmilieUpload A SmilieUsername ChangeUsername Style ChangeUser Title Style ChangeProfile MusicEven more pm spaceAdd more pm space1 Week VIPImmunity from theft for  30 days
      Mentioned
      0 Post(s)
      Tagged
      0 Thread(s)
      Quoted
      4 Post(s)
      vCash
      vBActivity - Stats
      Level
      vBActivity - Bars
      Lv. Percent
      67.58%

Leonard Nimoy is dead?? That sucks. Always been a fan of the original series. Thanks for the update man

The Clown Prince of WD
      This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Post Thanks / Like
      WD Coins
      124 (0 Banked)
      Mentioned
      3 Post(s)
      Tagged
      0 Thread(s)
      Quoted
      6 Post(s)
      vCash
      vBActivity - Stats
      Level
      vBActivity - Bars
      Lv. Percent
      3.3%
      Achievements Posts

I also remember him in his one time-role of Galvatron in the 1986 animated Transformers movie and for his role as Sentinel Prime in Transformers: Dark of the Moon. Roles I believe he played very well. He will be missed.
      Last edited by Joker; 03-01-2015 at 07:08 AM.
      I would rather die peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather than screaming in terror like his passengers.

You don't have to be crazy to join Wrestling Desires. We'll train you for that.

If you think I'm crazy now, just wait till the sedatives wear off.

Administrator
      Yes! Yes! Yes!

I am:
      Friendly

Post Thanks / Like
      WD Coins
      21,166,263,511,884 (110,274 Banked)
      Mentioned
      22 Post(s)
      Tagged
      0 Thread(s)
      Quoted
      36 Post(s)
      vCash
      vBActivity - Stats
      Level
      vBActivity - Bars
      Lv. Percent
      87.34%
      Achievements Posts

RIP to one of the greats

Please order your ul.to account from here to help cover costs - thanks for your support, you guys rock !!!!!
      Code:
      http://ul.to/ref/3078460

Thread Information